03 June 2011

Why, oh why do we love this sport?

Swimming is hard. It requires an incredible amount of blind faith, the constant beating-down of your body with small amounts of recovery, and only rare tangible rewards for hard work.

I don't know how it works for other swimmers, but only every once in a while do I have a great practice. Don't get me wrong, most practices are rewarding in their own way (only a few are complete stinkers), but those quality practices where everything aligns--where technique and strength combine to make a great set run smoothly--those are rare.

I had one of those today. I've been home from school, training with my club team, for two and a half weeks. Today was the first day I felt like I was swimming, not flailing.

It always takes some time to transition from college training to club training: refining technique, getting strength back. Challenge. Earlier this week I was a little nervous, because with slow times and a great deal of thrashing, the outlook for Rome seemed grim. But now, to be completely corny, I seem to have turned the corner at "Embarrassing Street" onto "Legitimate Swimming Avenue," and I finally feel on the right track.

Definitely one of those days that serves as a reminder that every little thing I do each day will eventually make a difference. I just have to remember to hold out for that ultimate satisfaction.

***

Yesterday during practice, one of my teammates turned to me and said, "can you believe we leave in basically a week?" No, I can't. I've been talking to my mom, who is joining us for the trip, trying to plan which sites we want to see in our free time.

My darling mother is an expert traveler (probably due largely to her time as a flight attendant) and an excellent planner. She has been reading, researching, marking spots on maps and detailing an endless number of possible activities. One site in particular, which I will highlight here, is the Basilica of Saint Paul Outside the Walls.

The early structure of the basilica was said to be built in the 4th century, but has been expanded and rebuilt numerous times since. It stands over the burial place of St. Paul, and was consecrated by Pope Sylvester in 324.

Photo courtesy: http://www.vatican.va/
It literally is "outside the walls," in the south, south of Rome, quite far from where we will be staying, but I hope we'll make it there. It's accessible by bus and metro, a guaranteed interesting experience for me: riding mass transit in a foreign country! Guess I should work on my Italian...

No comments:

Post a Comment